There is still a lot of work to do with the re-organisation of the garden and moving it from entirely grassed (and some concrete) to something more useable for us. Very tight funds, bad weather and relying on J being around to do the heavy work when the weather is reasonable (and him being hit with a bout of sciatica) has meant work has crawled, but now the weather is steadily improving, work has sped up and suddenly the garden is really beginning to take shape.
We built the first of the planned raised beds, and sowed beetroot, carrots, chard, miscellaneous salad and various flowers (mostly calendula and cornflower). The remainder being sown with red clover and fenugreek as a green manure to cover the soil until it’s time to plant what is planned for that space. I also got the rhubarb in and sowed various tomatoes and peppers in the propagator in the conservatory.
The patio has now been laid and the shed moved from its previous location (seen in one of the photos above where the space it is occupying is to be cleared for more growing space and a hedge planted behind) to a more suitable location in a shadier part of the garden, with the raspberries transplanted, and various wild flowers sown, in front of it. Steadily the concrete is being broken up, the fence painted and the beds running around the fence, edged.
Next week I’m excited to be getting some more of the garden’s perennial residents planted – a hedge of blackthorn, hazel, elder, cherry plum, crab apple and dog rose – along the back fence. A little later than ideal, but the space had to be cleared of concrete and breeze blocks (etc) and it’s a heavier job than I could manage without J. We’ll be leaving some space for some future additions (as I’d like a burnet rose and when the hedge is more established, hops and perhaps honeysuckle), but it will be really good to get the bulk of what is planned for the back boundary of the garden planted!
Moo’s cut roses (from a Valentine’s bouquet) are doing well. Some have clearly not made it, but for those that have, they’re looking healthy and we’re keeping our fingers crossed they will continue to do so. Ditto for the bay, currant and gooseberry cuttings, some of which we have plans for experimenting in training into shapes.
We have espaliers (possibly fans, depending on final decision of fruit) planned for the left and right boundaries and a further apple and quince tree (and possibly a third, likely plum) but they will have to wait until Autumn now as we concentrate on the other beds and finishing the backbone of design of the garden.
Hopefully in a few years time, the apple below will be one of our homegrown!