This is the first week that I have gone grain-free. I’m also trying to cut out potatoes, parsnips, sweet potato (etc) and processed sugar.
Weekly Meals FAQ are here. Where items are in italics they are either grains or other items I didn’t eat. Items are organic unless specified.
Riverford Organic Farms:
- Large veg box comprising of: Tomatoes, 2x fennel, 4 courgettes, green beans, portobello mushrooms, lettuce, potatoes, 3 leeks, 6 onions, 4 parsnips, 6 carrots, savoy cabbage: £20.45
- Cauliflower: £1.95
- English apples £1.5kg: £5.45
- Blood oranges £1kg: £2.95
- Whole Milk 2litres (£1.89 per 2l) x2: £3.78
- Yeo Valley Fruity Favourites Yoghurts (4pck): £1.75
- Greens of Glastonbury double gloucester 300g: £2.99
- Whole Chicken 1.47kg £9.71
- SO back bacon £3.99
- English apples (£2.50) x2: £5.00
- SO mozzarella £1.25
- SO feta £1.85
- SO mature cheddar x2: £4.50
- Yeo Valley Creme Fraiche 200g £0.95
- Whole Milk 2.27l: £1.98
- Unsalted butter (£1.70 each) x3 £5.10
- SO Kalamata Olives £1.70
- SO jar of tomato puree £1.20
- Napolina olive oil (not organic) £2.50
- Highland Spring still water £0.92
- SO ready-to-eat dates £2.60
- Cafe Direct Machu R&G coffee £3.49
- Rowse clear organic honey £2.99
- Bananas x8 (not organic) x2 £2.30
- Cauliflower (not organic) £1.10
- Maris Piper potatoes (not organic) £2.39
- SO frozen peas £2.20
- Mayonnaise (not organic – for J) £2.80
- Billington’s golden caster sugar (not organic – for J) £2.10
- Sausage rolls (not organic – for J) £1.30
- Dried coriander (not organic): £1.50
- Tinned haricot beans (not organic) £0.59 x2: £1.18
Was also given 2 courgettes and 2 ramiro peppers
Total for the week: £93.44
So far, £260.84 has been spent and averaged out, the cost per week is: £86.95
What we ate:
- Breakfast: Fried egg and bread. I wasn’t very good and didn’t have anything.
- Packed Lunch: Pasta Salad, Fruit Yoghurt
- Lunch: J, Nin and Stinkers had sausage rolls (tut tut) and fruit. I just had some fruit.
- Dinner: Chicken Salad (served with fried mashed swede and potato leftover from the day before)
- Snacks: some apples and carrots were munched on
NB: The chicken salad was made from meat from the whole chicken which I pot-roasted with some veg and water and then divided the meat into two meal portions. Bones went back in the pot with some added water to make stock.
FYI salad was chicken, avocado, tomato, feta, dried basil, dried parsley and lettuce with a basic olive oil, cider vinegar, salt and pepper dressing.
- Breakfast: Porridge (again, I didn’t eat breakfast – I am working on this!)
- Packed Lunch: Leftover chicken salad, fruit yoghurt and apple
- Lunch: Baked Avocado and Eggs
- Dinner: Chicken curry (using leftover chicken) and carrots and coriander with cauliflower ‘rice’.
- Snacks: apple
NB: I thought baked avocado with eggs would be intuitive, except a whole egg doesn’t fit in an avocado half – yes, I am that spatially unaware!
- Breakfast: Porridge or Toast (again I ended up giving this a miss as I was rushing around and ended up just having a banana)
- Packed Lunch: Leftover cauliflower rice, various salad and, for Ted, slice of bread; fruit yoghurt; apple
- Lunch: Egg and salad (some bread for Stinkers)
- Dinner: Bacon, mushroom, leek and tomato ‘pasta’ – ie spiralised courgette ‘pasta’ for me and regular pasta for everyone else, with parmesan
NB: the courgette ‘pasta’ was actually very nice!
Nin made some parsnip gluten-free muffins (made with rice flour and kefir, amongst other things) for a quick grab breakfast in the morning.
- Breakfast: Parsnip muffins (gf)
- Packed Lunch: Leftover bacon, mushroom, leek and tomato pasta with salad and cubed cheese; yoghurt and blood orange
- Lunch: Stinkers was asleep and it had been such a busy day, I forgot!
- Dinner: Butterbean and fig stew with spiced mashed potato and parsnip with garlic savoy cabbage.
NB: rice might’ve been a more ‘obvious’ accompaniment, but there was some ready-peeled parsnip left from making the muffins that needed using up. I ended up eating the mash, even though I wasn’t really ‘supposed’ to, because I was just so hungry after not eating breakfast or lunch – and there’s a lesson in there: if you don’t look after yourself and eat, then willpower disappears and you’ll eat anything!
- Breakfast: Porridge and Toast with home-made jam
- Lunch: Cheese sandwiches
- Dinner: Cheese, leek and mushroom frittata with diced roast potatoes and salad (lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and the rest of the feta with a basic dressing)
Yes, I didn’t eat again until the evening and I really need to get organised to make sure I do!
- Breakfast: Porridge
- Lunch: Cheese sandwiches
- Dinner: Pot-roast beef; honey-roast parsnip and carrots; roast potatoes; savoy cabbage and peas.
NB: Nin made parsnip muffins for the next day’s breakfast.
- Breakfast: Parsnip muffins (these weren’t gluten-free as ran out of gf flour so using up the last bits of gluten-based flour)
- Packed Lunch: Leftover beef and tomato sandwiches; fruit
- Lunch: Pasta salad (with egg for Stinkers)
- Dinner: Beef, green bean and greens curry (from leftover beef – the ‘greens’ being perpetual spinach, turnip greens and beetroot leaves from the garden); carrots and coriander; spiced courgette and cauliflower ‘rice’ with cumin seed flatbreads
Not very organised this week which resulted in having to pop back to Sainsburys to get some bits. We seemed to run out of pretty much everything fruit and veg-wise with the only veg being left at the end of this week (after making Monday dinner) being beetroot, the fennel, a couple of peppers and a leek. We do still have some lamb and some pork, plus chicken livers (that really need using) in the freezer.
I keep wanting to do some juicing, but haven’t been able to order the extra in for the next week, so am hoping to be able to start juicing (for my breakfast) the week after (as I realise I’m rather lacking when it comes to eating breakfast and lunch).
The one thing that I really noted this week is the difference in taste between Riverford Organic’s and Sainsburys’ apples – in comparison to Riverford, Sainsburys’ organic apples are rather lacklustre and tasteless with a strange metallic after-taste.